You are currently on Hearing Direct AU
Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
You have no items in your basket.
Need Some Help?
Click to talk to our lovely team
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
All returns are FREE
Cant find what you're looking for?
Speak to a member of our team today
This entry was posted on 5th August 2017 by Gary.
Muffled Hearing feels like you have “cotton in your ears” and we bring to you its most common causes. Depending on the reason for muffled hearing, the effect can happen over time or instantly. It can also occur in one ear or both ears.
The most common reason for muffled hearing is a conductive hearing loss that can be caused by a variety of factors or medical conditions, including a build-up of ear wax and ear infections. You may also be suffering from clogged ear.
In most cases, it is very treatable and doesn't lead to permanent hearing damage. In order for the latter to not occur, the exact reason for the hearing loss should be determined and sufficient measures should be taken so that further or permanent hearing damage is avoided. In the case of sensorineural hearing loss, we advise that you consult an audiologist.
You can test your hearing with our online hearing test. It is free, only takes a few minutes, and you will receive your results instantly.
There are several widespread reasons for the occurrence of diminished hearing ability that is often perceived as muffled or unclear. In some cases, the sound may appear too quiet or certain frequencies may not be heard at all. Usually, the cause lies in an obstruction in the ear passage, such as an abnormal growth or a collection of fluid or earwax.
1. Earwax compaction - The secretion of earwax from the ear is a natural process and helps for protection from dust and small particles that could damage the sensitive parts of the internal ear. Accumulation of earwax, however, may cause it to harden and thus block the passageway of the sound waves and prevent them from being properly processed. It is advisable to clean the ear regularly with a special earwax removal kit, solution for softening and letting it flow out or consult with a specialist. It is not recommended to use cotton buds or insert any objects in the ear as they may push the earwax deeper and worsen the condition or even perforate the eardrum. It is advisable to clean the ear regularly with a special earwax removal kit, a solution for softening and letting it flow out, or consult with a specialist. It is not recommended to use cotton buds or insert any objects into the ear as they may push earwax deeper and worsen the condition or even perforate the eardrum.
We have a number of products to help with earwax removal including:
2. Otitis Media - Infection of the middle ear or Otitis Media can also cause muffled hearing and damage the ear further. Also known as glue ear, this condition presents a collection of fluid in the middle ear that blocks the sounds transmission to the inner ear. Depending on the consistency and density of the fluid, diminished hearing may vary in severity. In some cases, treatment is not necessary as the ear clears up on its own. However, it is always best to seek professional help and follow the instructions of your medical practitioner.
3. Ear infections - There are multiple types of additional ear infections that can manifest and cause a swelling of the ear canal (swimmer’s ear). They can also be caused by colds or the flu. Inflammation of the ear canal may swell the passage to the inner ear and lead to muffled hearing or blocked up feeling and discomfort. Common viruses can also provoke ear infections and affect the middle ear and its proper conduction of sounds. If the condition is serious, the use of antibiotics may be required.
4. Eardrum perforation - Damage to the eardrum may also be responsible for muffled hearing. It usually occurs after trauma or due to earwax compaction. Treatment should be determined by a specialist and can include surgery or antibiotics.
5. Abnormal growths - A growth in the ear such as a tumour, tissue build up or fluid growth can lead to narrowing of the ear canal and cause problems with hearing. Removal of the growth may be a solution along with a treatment with medicines prescribed by a healthcare professional.
If you think you have, or someone you know has muffled hearing, we suggest you contact your local GP or medical professional for a check-up.
We supply a number of valuable products to help maintain healthy ears. This includes the selection of hygiene items highlighted above.
Alternatively, our collection of amplified products may still be of use to you. Our loud alarm clock range is home to one of the loudest alarm clocks in production today, and they're ideal for the hard of hearing and hard to wake alike. Also, a super loud phone can prevent you from missing out on key snippets of conversations or the call completely.
We are one of the world's leading hearing aid specialists, stocking a vast range of hearing aids, including invisible hearing aids. Also, we supply amplified phones, and accessories such as ear plugs.
Your hearing health is important to us and we produce the best advice and offer the most prominent products available to satisfy your listening needs.
If you have any questions, please do contact us and our expert team will do their best to assist you.
Don't forget to like our Blog Page.
This entry was posted in Hearing Information, News on 5th August 2017 by Gary.
← Previous Post
Next Post →
Get special offers, product launches and events.
©2018 - Hearing Direct - All Rights Reserved